Monday, May 14, 2018

A Treespeak Soliloquy



Two years ago, when I had some time to kill, I tried my hand at writing poetry. At first it was about my childhood but, as discussed last week, my childhood and Bionicle are nearly inseparable  so after a while it morphed into the ruminations of my favorite character, Lewa, whose plot arc was abandoned on a cliff hanger when they abruptly stopped updating the story. For context, Lewa spoke in a dialect of conjoined words that often used predictable metaphors (for example he would say "Life-dawn" instead of "childhood") I tried submitting it to a few fanfiction poetry magazines, but it turned out to be too niche even for them.

When I was wind-riding
Away from my fellow toa-heroes
(Because they were boring-dull),
I was capture-trapped and choke-tied 
By bad-strange small-folk.

Then Greg Farshtey
Decided spending time with his daughter
Was more important than continuing the story
Of a Lego franchise that was canceled
More than a year ago.

Ever since then,
With no forward-moving plot-line,
I’m still capture-trap choke-tied
With the bad-strange small-folk.
It’s been a boring-dull eight years.

Eight years in purgatory-hell
Is a long time to hard-think
About sad-strange question-thoughts.

Like what are there five boy-toa
For every one girl toa?
Why are there gender-norms at all?
We’re robots, we don’t make-love.
Which is actually a real-shame.
It sounds like good-fun.

Or why, when was I so high-flying sing-song happy-good
With the five-to-ten year-old age-demographic
Back in my life-dawn,
Are the only people who still care
Man-child computer-nerds
Who should really grow-up and move-on?

Did I really fight swarms of dark-bad Nui-Rama,
Have a Karana control my brain-thoughts,
Live under the rule of an evil-bad world-master,
And save the universe,
Only to be under-stuck
A German pump manufacturer,
A wildlife conservancy,
And a Chinese Android ROM
On the Wikipedia disambiguation-page?
To stink-rot
In a thousand forgotten toy bins?

Of-course-not.
I’m a Lego-toy, Lego-toys don’t stink-rot.
Plastic lives immortal.
But we do decompose.
We’re broken down into our component parts
And made anew
By the children-spawn
Of the first-owners.
It’s not a bad fate.

No comments:

Post a Comment